Skip to Main Content

Incomplete Work in a Course

When a student for valid reason does not complete the work assigned in a course (including the final exam, papers, etc.) and in the view of the instructor still has a reasonable chance to pass the course, the student shall be given the grade INC (incomplete). The student must explain the reason to the instructor or, in the absence of the instructor, to the department chair and arrange a schedule for making up the missing coursework. These steps must be taken as soon as possible and no later than the end of the second week of the following semester. The student shall then be given the opportunity to complete the course without penalty beyond previously established penalties for lateness.

The length of time permitted for completing missing coursework remains at the discretion of the instructor and shall be indicated in writing to the student, but shall not extend beyond the end of the semester following the one in which the course was taken. Unless the student submits the work by the date specified by the instructor, the grade will automatically become FIN on the student’s permanent record. (Under certain circumstances, where the student must repeat class sessions or laboratories in a course not given during the following semester, the FIN grade may later be converted to the appropriate letter grade.)

If the faculty member wishes to extend the deadline for the student to complete the coursework beyond one semester, the faculty member and the student must enter into a written contract clearly specifying the deadline. This contract must be written during the semester following the one in which the course was taken. The student must be aware that the INC grade will change to a FIN grade until the work is completed. The written contract must accompany the change of grade form. If a student has not filed a contract with the faculty member but still wishes to complete the work and have a FIN grade changed, the student can appeal to the Senate Grade Appeals Committee. The appeal must include the reason for failing to complete the work and must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the faculty member who issued the INC grade or, if the faculty member is no longer at the college, from the department chair. Appeals with no endorsement will be denied.